Custom Search

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Military Family

It seems that I have a, seemingly, never ending conversation with friends regarding the lack of knowledge in the general public regarding the military in general and military families specifically.




I have friends talking about how they are constantly questioned as to what their Blue Star pin or flag in their window represents. How no one recognized why they wear a red shirt on Friday. But mostly it’s about how most people just don’t get it.



I had an interesting experience yesterday that I’d like to share. I was meeting a perspective client for the first time. We met, introduced ourselves and then she turned to lead the way into her home. We chatted for a few moments; she was not the friendliest, not rude but a bit standoffish. Since I speak to people and keep eye contact I didn’t see it until she turned again to walk us into her home office and the light glinted off of something on her blouse. I asked her to turn around again and then said, so, is it your son or daughter in the military? She looked at me a bit startled, glanced around her living room; there were no pictures up, then back to me with a big question mark on her face. I noticed your pin, I’m a Blue Star Aunt of a Marine.

Well folks, the smile broke out on her face as she said, with the pride all of you know so well – My son, he’s in the Air Force. Her whole demeanor changed and she just started to talk. After the usually qualifying... which service, how long, where is he, where’s he been, where’s he going conversation she said to me, “You are the first person that’s ever known what it meant”.



When we were done with our business, she invited me back to sit and chat for a bit in her living room. It’s the first time I’ve ever met someone cold that also had a family member in the military and was a bit surprised, happily, to realize that the sense of family extended to complete and utter strangers. We had a common thread that was larger then life, it was vital and it was amazing. It didn’t matter that it was a different branch of service, the commonalities were apparent. We knew without asking that each had suffered through the shock of boot /basic training, the fear of the unknown, the pain of a deployment. We also shared the great pride in our respective serviceman that is the wonderful side of this trip. We spoke about how they have grown, the difference between them and other’s the same age. We discussed the maturity and sense of responsibility that marks them from those in their peer groups. I think about how we are everywhere but this is the first time I had that confirmed. It was a wonderful meeting and it reinforced my firm belief that this family we have found ourselves in is strong and most importantly, we are vital to each other. We should not be an unknown undercurrent of life in the USA, we should be celebrated and respected, not shrugged off or ignored. We are also powerful in our numbers, we can effect change – so what do YOU want to do with that power?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger
 
Custom Search